Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What Does It Mean To Know God?

2 Kings 24; Jeremiah 22; Psalm 112; John 18
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


What Does It Mean To Know God?

Scripture

Jeremiah 22

16 He gave justice and help to the poor and needy,
and everything went well for him.
Isn’t that what it means to know me?”
says the Lord.

Observation

Psalm 112 and Jeremiah 22 both talk about what it means to be a godly person. In Jeremiah the Lord is comparing the life of godly Josiah with the life of his ungodly son Jehoiachin. Jehoiachin built for himself a beautiful cedar palace but God's response to this was to say in verse 15 “But a beautiful cedar palace does not make a great king!”

Then the Lord described the life of Josiah, “16 He gave justice and help to the poor and needy, and everything went well for him. Isn’t that what it means to know me?” says the Lord.

If we really know the Lord then it will show in our concern for those around us that are less fortunate.

Application

I will try to do something good for someone this week that can't pay me back.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, helped me be a doer of Your word this week and not a hearer only. May You be able to say about me the things that You said about Your king Josiah. Give me Your heart and Your eyes for those around me.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!


No comments: