Sunday, May 13, 2012

When You Have Been In Difficult Situation Has Any Of Your Friends Shared A Scripture Passage With You That Helped You Get Through That Bad Time?


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
2 Samuel 24; 1 Chronicles 21; Psalm 30; 1 Thessalonians 2

When You Have Been In Difficult Situation

Has Any Of Your Friends Shared A Scripture Passage

With You That Helped You Get Through That Bad Time?

Scripture

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, Lord, for you rescued me.
    You refused to let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
    and you restored my health.
You brought me up from the grave, O Lord.
    You kept me from falling into the pit of death.
Sing to the Lord, all you godly ones!
    Praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment,
    but his favor lasts a lifetime!
Weeping may last through the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.
When I was prosperous, I said,
    “Nothing can stop me now!”
Your favor, O Lord, made me as secure as a mountain.
    Then you turned away from me, and I was shattered.
I cried out to you, O Lord.
    I begged the Lord for mercy, saying,
“What will you gain if I die,
    if I sink into the grave?
Can my dust praise you?
    Can it tell of your faithfulness?
10 Hear me, Lord, and have mercy on me.
    Help me, O Lord.”
11 You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
    You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy,
12 that I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
    O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever! 

Observation

My best friend Hugh Roberts called me up one day after I had come home from the hospital and gave me several passages of scripture to hold on to as I began my recovery from my heart attack. I remember how difficult it was for my friend to even get these verses out of his mouth; he was struggling (without success) to hold back his tears. He is as emotional as I am!

Our friendship with Hugh and Millie Roberts goes all the way back to the time in my life where I gave my life to Jesus Christ. God called Hugh and Millie to the mission field at the same time God called us. Our two families moved together to Texas to finish out our College and Seminary preparation for ministry. We moved in the same moving truck – we piled our stuff in with Hugh and Millie’s stuff in their moving truck, and we towed our 1952 Chevy behind their moving truck and off we went.

Since those early days and through all forty plus years of friendship our two families have weathered lots of storms together. I couldn’t begin to list how many times Hugh and Millie have been there for us during a crisis. I couldn’t begin to list how many fun memories we have – doing incredibly fun things together with the Roberts family. I am tearing up right now just thinking about how much Hugh and Millie, their kids and their grandkids mean to us.

So when someone like Hugh calls you up to share a scripture with you that God has given to him - it makes an impression! When I read Psalm 30 this morning as part of my morning daily Bible reading I immediately thought of Hugh and Millie and the day he called me on the phone and shared this Psalm with me. 

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, Lord, for you rescued me.
    You refused to let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
    and you restored my health.
You brought me up from the grave, O Lord.
    You kept me from falling into the pit of death. 

Application

I will do like my friend Hugh and share God’s word with people that need to hear it.  

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for friends. You have blessed Kathy and I with so many great friends. There is nothing more important to us than the people that You have placed in our lives. Bless all of our friends today. May Your face shine brightly on each one of them!

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: