Thursday, November 01, 2012

“What Must I Do To Get The Life That Never Ends?”


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Psalm 121; Mark 9; Mark 10

“What Must I Do

To Get The Life

That Never Ends?”

Scripture

Mark 10

A Rich Man Refuses to Follow Jesus

17 Jesus started to leave, but a man ran to him and bowed down on his knees before him. The man asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to get the life that never ends?”

18 Jesus answered, “Why do you call me good? Only God is good. 19 And you know his commands: ‘You must not murder anyone, you must not commit adultery, you must not steal, you must not lie, you must not cheat, you must respect your father and mother ….’”

20 The man said, “Teacher, I have obeyed all these commands since I was a boy.”

21 Jesus looked at the man in a way that showed how much he cared for him. He said, “There is still one thing you need to do. Go and sell everything you have. Give the money to those who are poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come and follow me.”

22 The man was upset when Jesus told him to give away his money. He didn’t want to do this, because he was very rich. So he went away sad.

Observation

  “Take a moment and jot down what following Jesus has cost you. How has following Jesus interfered with your life?” This is a quote from a book I am reading, by Pastor Kyle Idleman. The title of the book is “not a fan - BECOMING A COMPLETELY COMMITTED FOLLOWER OF JESUS” 

He goes on a little further in the book to say this, “There is no forgiveness without repentance. There is no salvation without surrender. There is no life without death. There is no believing without committing.”

The rich man in this story was not willing to become a Christ follower. He was not willing for Jesus to interfere with his life. He wanted to be a fan of Jesus, but not a follower. He wanted what Jesus had to offer, but he wasn’t willing to surrender his life to Christ. 

Are you and I willing to have Jesus interfere with our lives or do we just want to be “enthusiastic admirers” of Jesus.

Today Kathy and I celebrate 43 years of marriage. She is definitely a “keeper”. She means more to me now than ever before. Our love grows for each other more and more as our body’s shows signs of wearing out. Just my body of course, Kathy’s is still mighty fine!

We are Christ followers. Kathy and I have allowed God to interfere with our lives and we live our lives for Christ. We are committed followers of Christ – not just fans! How about you? 

Application

I will work hard to finish my new book today, “not a fan”, by Kyle Idleman. I will also take Kathy to the Red Rocker Inn in Black Mountain for dinner to celebrate our anniversary!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for a wonderful wife. The best gift I have ever received from You next to my salvation. You are so good! 

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: