Friday, June 12, 2015

Don’t Be Selfish; Be Humble


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

Don’t Be Selfish;
Be
Humble

You and I have a problem. We both have an “I” problem. We are selfish. I know that I am. How did I know that you are?

Scripture

Philippians 2

3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others.
Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Observation

You and I have a problem. We both have an “I” problem. We are selfish. I know that I am. How did I know that you are?

My old nature is selfish and so is yours!

When you and I are not walking close to God, when God’s Holy Spirit does not control us then we only think of ourselves.

That is why it is so important to start each day in God’s Word and take time to hear from God and let Him be in control of our lives.

When the Apostle Paul this letter He was thinking about two ladies, Euodia and Syntyche, servants in the church at Philippi but who were at odds with each other.

Paul is writing from a jail cell and even though he doesn’t know if he will be released or if he will be killed his concern is not about his own situation his concern is for the spiritual health of those in Philippi.

When we are selfish that is when we are the most miserable.

When we humble ourselves and place the needs of others above our own that is when life is full of meaning and purpose and that is when life is exciting!

So do we have an “I” problem this morning? What are we going to do about it? 


Application


I will ask the Lord to take His place on the throne of my life so I can put others and their needs above my own. How about you? 


Prayer

Heavenly Father, You know my heart and You know how selfish that I can be. Help me not to think about myself today. Help me think about other people and put their needs above my own.

    Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud [5] or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. [6] It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. [7] Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

   



Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 12; 2 Chronicles 10,11; Philippians 2

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: