Saturday, June 17, 2017

The LORD Was With Jehoshaphat Because He Followed The Example Of His Father’s Early Years … He Sought His Father’s God


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

The LORD Was With
Jehoshaphat Because He Followed The Example Of His Father’s
Early Years … He Sought His Father’s God


Scripture

2 Chronicles 17

The Lord was with Jehoshaphat because he followed the example of his father’s early years and did not worship the images of Baal. He sought his father’s God and obeyed his commands instead of following the evil practices of the kingdom of Israel.

Observation

I have been thinking a lot about what it takes to be a Great Dad! Tomorrow is Father’s Day and I have been given the opportunity to preach at West Broad Baptist church! I want to challenge the men of the church to be godly Dads and godly Granddads. King Asa’s story will be part of my message! 

When King Asa started out as King of Judah he was totally committed 100% to the Lord and his example obviously had a huge impact on his son Jehoshaphat. As King, Jehoshaphat continued in his father’s footsteps and he moved the nation back to a closer relationship with God. 

One of my biggest regrets as the earthly father of my children was that I was not able to reveal God to them as a loving Heavenly Father where they would want to follow my example and be totally committed to the Lord Jesus Christ and His kingdom. Too harsh, too stern, too legalistic, whatever it was, whatever I did, it kept them from seeing and experiencing the love that my Heavenly Father has for them. 

As a follower of Jesus Christ, people need to see the love of Jesus in me! I need to shine for Him!

Even though I was obviously not the best example of a godly Dad to my children when they were growing up, this one thing I know for sure, “God is not finished with me yet!” 

And I have some great kids and wonderful grandkids. I am proud of each and every one of them. Like me they are not perfect, and like me they are also a work in progress and God is not finished with them yet either!

In fact, God is not finished with any of us yet! All of us have the opportunity to turn to God and be totally committed to Him! 

Application

I intend to be the best Dad and the best Grandpa to my children and my grandchildren until the Lord takes me home. I want to love them in a way that they can see and experience God’s love through me. I pray for them everyday!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, You know how much I love the children that You have given me and how much I love my grandchildren. Help me to live in a way that they can see Jesus in me. I want them to fall in love with You. I want them to be totally committed to You. Bless them. Show them how much You love them. Help them to live in a way that makes You smile!

I pray for Kathy today on her birthday. She is the best gift that You have ever given me. She is the best Mom, Grandma, and wife in the world. Bless her today. Give her many more years to serve You. I thank You for bringing her into my life 48 years ago. You are such a good good God!


Daily Bible Reading:  1 Kings 20,21; 2 Chronicles 17; Colossians 3





Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: