Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Warn Them So they don’t end up In this place of torment

Warn Them
So they don’t end up
In this place of torment
Scripture
Luke 16
19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores.

 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet.[e] The rich man also died and was buried,23 and he went to the place of the dead.
There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.
24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’
25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish.
26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’
27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home.28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’
29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’
30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’
31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
Observation

This parable that Jesus shares in Luke 16 gives us a little glimpse of what it is going to be like for those of us who end up in Hell. For sure from this story we know that Hell will a real place of never ending torment and anguish, and a place of deep, deep regret.

This rich man wanted Abraham to send Lazarus first over from Heaven to Hell to put a few drops of water on his tongue, then he asked Abraham to send Lazarus back to warn his brothers.

He didn't want them to end up in Hell too!

There is a lesson in this story for all of us!

The rich man realized that he should have repented of his sins and turned to God while he had the opportunity. Maybe you need to repent of our sins and turn to God right now while you still have time!

Or maybe you and I have people we know that still need to hear from us about God's plan of salvation.

Application
I will look for opportunities to share the Good News that Jesus Saves! How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am thankful that my brother and my two sisters all profess a relationship with You. I pray for my family members that still need to respond to the Good News. Open up their hearts so that they can understand the message of the Gospel. I want them to be in Heaven with me. I don't want them to experience and Eternity of anguish and suffering. I don't want them to spend an Eternity of deep, deep regret. I don't want them to be Eternally separated from those that they love.
I pray for those in Las Vegas. I pray that many in that city will be drawn closer to You because of this terrible tragedy. I pray for the pastors and churches in Las Vegas. Use them to shine light into this darkness. Use them to bring hope to this city!
Daily Bible Reading: Ezra 5,6; Psalm 138; Luke 16
> I have made it a habit to pray for those who read this blog! I enjoy lifting you and your family up to the Lord in prayer.



No comments: