Wednesday, October 04, 2017

We Are Unworthy Servants Who Have Simply Done Our Duty

We Are Unworthy
Servants
Who Have Simply Done Our Duty
Scripture
Luke 17
7 “When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’?
8 No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.’
9 And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not.
10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”
Observation
If you and I are always looking for someone around us to take notice of us and praise us for some good deed that we have done … we will be very disappointed!
I am the first to admit that all of us like recognition and it feels good to be recognized and appreciated, but what we should and must strive for is to have a “servant heart”, serving people because of who we are in Christ and not because of anything else!
It is a choice and it is a choice we must make every single day!
We are to serve an audience of ONE!
Philippians 2:3-8
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.”
Application
I will ask the Lord to give me a “Servant Heart” today. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, show me how to live out this day in a way that pleases You. Help me to focus on the needs of others rather than focusing on myself. Give me Your heart for those around me. May my motivation for what I do today come from You. You are worthy of all praise! You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Nothing is too hard for You!
Daily Bible Reading: Esther 1,2; Psalms 150; Luke 17



No comments: