Friday, November 02, 2018

Of All The Commandments, Which Is The Most Important?


Of
All The Commandments,
Which Is The Most Important?
Scripture
Mark 12
28 ...“Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 
30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ 
31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”
Observation

The Bible is full of promises, but it is also full of commands for us to follow!
The religious man that approached Jesus with this question might have been trying to trap Jesus but Jesus' answer to the question has been permanently recorded in Scripture for us to live our lives by.
Do you want to experience life, life that is filled with joy, life that is filled with purpose, life that is filled with meaning, and life that is overflowing with abundance?
Do you? I sure do!
Mark 12:28-31 tells us how!
It is also the secret for having a wonderful marriage! By the say, today, Kathy and I begin the first day of our 50th year of marriage. Yesterday, we celebrated 49 years of marriage and so today we start on year 50!
So here is how you and I can experience life the way that God intended for us to experience it! It is pretty simple. Put God first, and everybody else second.
Looking back over 49 years of marriage, the worst times for us have been when Eddy (me, myself and I) selfishly demanded first place. And if you were to be honest, you might admit the same thing about your life.
Right now at this very moment, I know selfish men that are wrecking their marriages, and in the past I have seen selfish women do the same thing.
When God does not have first place in our lives nothing works right.
So finding a new partner is not the answer and neither is divorcing your spouse.
Finding a new job, making more money, buying something new, getting something bigger, something prettier, shinier, or escaping and living out in the woods, none of these are going to fill the emptiness in our life.
Only by daily living out these two commandments will you and I be blessed!
Application
I will try my best daily to keep God first, Kathy second, and everyone else third, and myself last.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to love you with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, and all my strength and help me to love everyone else as much as I love myself. Don't let me be stingy. Don't let me be selfish. Give me Your heart for those around me.
Daily Bible Reading: Job 23,24; Mark 11,12

No comments: