Saturday, November 24, 2018

So Go Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line. Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch, And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.


So Go Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line.
Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch,
And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.
Scripture
Matthew 17
24 On their arrival in Capernaum, the collectors of the Temple tax came to Peter and asked him, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the Temple tax?”
25 “Yes, he does,” Peter replied. Then he went into the house.
But before he had a chance to speak, Jesus asked him, “What do you think, Peter? Do kings tax their own people or the people they have conquered?”
26 “They tax the people they have conquered,” Peter replied.
Well, then,” Jesus said, “the citizens are free! 
27 However, we don’t want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin.  Take it and pay the tax for both of us.”
Observation
Don't you love to hear a good fish story! I sure do! I love to see all the pictures on Facebook of all the fish that some of you catch! They are incredible! But the fish story in Matthew 17 is not one that you are going to be able to top! You might try, but Jesus and Peter have your best fish story beat!
I would have loved to have been with Simon Peter when he went down to that lake to fish, throwing in a line just like Jesus said. When he caught the first fish and found the large silver coin in its mouth just like Jesus said, I wonder what he did! I bet that he wanted to tell the whole world that fish story!
Peter went hook and line fishing for this fish. He didn’t use the nets that the fisherman used in the other passages that dealt with fishing.
I think it is interesting that Jesus tells Peter to look in the mouth of the very first fish that he catches. Jesus made it very easy for Peter. I wonder if Peter kept fishing after he caught the first fish. If he did I wonder if he looked in the mouth of the next fish to see if there was any money in its mouth. Like we did when we used to go by a phone booth or sometimes when you pass by a soda machine or snack machine and check to see if there is any change in it that someone has left.
Jesus can and will take care of our needs and he can do it in a million different ways. He can and usually will do it in a way that we didn’t plan. God is so good.
We are children of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.
Application
I will look to Jesus to meet every one of my needs because He is 100% faithful, 100% reliable and loves to provide for us.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for your Word. You are the Great Provider. Nothing is too hard for You. There is not one thing in my life that is too big for You. You take such good care of my family and me. I pray that You will help me depend on You, give me the faith I need to trust You with every detail of my life. You are Amazing. You are Wonderful. Amen.
Daily Bible Reading: Matthew 17,18,19

No comments: