Thursday, November 01, 2018

“What Do You Mean If I Can?” Jesus Asked. “Anything Is Possible If A Person Believes.”


What Do You Mean If I Can?”
Jesus Asked. 
Anything Is Possible If A Person Believes.”
Scripture
Mark 9
17 One of the men in the crowd spoke up and said, “Teacher, I brought my son so you could heal him. He is possessed by an evil spirit that won’t let him talk. 

18 And whenever this spirit seizes him, it throws him violently to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid. So I asked your disciples to cast out the evil spirit, but they couldn’t do it.”

19 Jesus said to them, “You faithless people! How long must I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
20 So they brought the boy. But when the evil spirit saw Jesus, it threw the child into a violent convulsion, and he fell to the ground, writhing and foaming at the mouth.
21 “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father.
He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”
23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil  spirit. “Listen, you spirit that makes this boy unable to hear and speak,” he said. “I command you to come out of this child and never enter him again!”
Mark 10
26 The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.
27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”
Observation
I love these two chapters in Mark!
If you are facing tough times and things seem impossible right now then these two passages are for you.
If Jesus is Lord of your life then these verses should encourage and strengthen you. If you have not yet committed or surrendered your life to Jesus Christ then these verses hopefully will encourage you to put your faith and your trust in Him.
In Mark 9 we see a desperate father turning to Jesus, begging Jesus to heal his son, and at the same time we find the father also admitting to Jesus that he was having a hard time believing that Jesus could heal his son.
Jesus showed this man that He could trust Him. Jesus showed this man that He had the power to heal. And this story, found in Mark 9, is for you and me.
Lord, help us overcome our unbelief!
Application
I will trust Jesus with all of the “impossibles” in my life!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray for my friend Zane Edwards who has been injured in an accident. I pray for healing. Show him that he can trust in You. Thank You for doing the impossible in my life over and over and over again. You are a mighty God. Nothing is impossible for You!
I thank you for my wife Kathy. Thank You for allowing us to celebrate 49 years of marriage today! You picked out the best woman in the world to be my wife. You knew that I was going to need the very best to keep me on track! Bless her in a special way today!
Daily Bible Reading: Psalms 121; Mark 9,10

No comments: