Monday, September 30, 2019

Teach Us To Realize The Brevity Of Life, So That We May Grow In Wisdom.


Teach Us To Realize
The Brevity Of Life,
So That We May Grow In Wisdom.
Scripture
Psalm 90
4 For you, a thousand years are as a passing day,
    as brief as a few night hours.
5 You sweep people away like dreams that disappear.
    They are like grass that springs up in the morning.
6 In the morning it blooms and flourishes,
    but by evening it is dry and withered.
10 Seventy years are given to us!
    Some even live to eighty.
But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble;
    soon they disappear, and we fly away.

12 Teach us to realize the brevity of life,
    so that we may grow in wisdom.

Observation
I was asked this past weekend to give the invocation at our 50th high school reunion (Hillsborough High School - “Go Terriers!” … Go Big Red!)
As part of the invocation I was asked to lead the group in a moment of silence, to remember our classmates who had already passed away.
Our graduating high school class was very large, just over 700 students, and sadly over 90 of us have already exited this life and have entered into the next.
In my prayer, using a football analogy, I mentioned that we are in the 4th quarter of life and were now playing in the final 2-minute warning!
Now, none of like to think about death, especially our own death or the death of a loved one, but the reality for all of us is this ... our life is brief.
The Bible describes the length of our life as a vapor, like grass that springs up in the morning and is dry and withered by evening, as the morning fog, like a breath, and like a shadow. All of those are very short!
If American football had been around back then when the Bible was written the writers might have used the “The final 2-minute warning” as an illustration!
So let's make the most of every minute – let's focus our attention on our relationship with God, our spouse, our children and grandchildren, (great-grandchildren for some of you), our friends and on those who still need a relationship with Jesus.
Psalm 39:4
4 “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
    Remind me that my days are numbered—
    how fleeting my life is.
Job 8:9
For we were born but yesterday and know nothing.
    Our days on earth are as fleeting as a shadow.
Psalm 78:39
39 For he remembered that they were merely mortal,
    gone like a breath of wind that never returns.
James 4:14
14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.
Psalm 102:11
11 My life passes as swiftly as the evening shadows.
    I am withering away like grass.
Application
My life is short. I plan to use wisely the time I have left.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. Don't let me waste my time.
I pray for any person who is reading this blog today. Help them to live their life in a way that brings You glory and honor. Help me to do the same.
Daily Bible Reading: Zechariah 7,8,9; Luke 13; I added: Psalm 30, Psalm 90; Proverbs 30



No comments: