Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Why Do The Wicked Prosper, Growing Old And Powerful?


Why
Do The
Wicked Prosper, Growing Old And Powerful?
Scripture
Job 21
7 “Why do the wicked prosper,
    growing old and powerful?
8 They live to see their children grow up and settle down,
    and they enjoy their grandchildren.
9 Their homes are safe from every fear,
    and God does not punish them.
10 Their bulls never fail to breed.
    Their cows bear calves and never miscarry.
11 They let their children frisk about like lambs.
    Their little ones skip and dance.
12 They sing with tambourine and harp.
    They celebrate to the sound of the flute.
13 They spend their days in prosperity,
    then go down to the grave[
a] in peace.
14 And yet they say to God, ‘Go away.
    We want no part of you and your ways.
15 Who is the Almighty, and why should we obey him?
    What good will it do us to pray?’
16 (They think their prosperity is of their own doing,
    but I will have nothing to do with that kind of thinking.)
17 “Yet the light of the wicked never seems to be extinguished.
    Do they ever have trouble?
    Does God distribute sorrows to them in anger?
18 Are they driven before the wind like straw?
    Are they carried away by the storm like chaff?
    Not at all!
Observation
My younger sister Bea is also reading through the Bible just like I do every year and yesterday she told me that she is also reading through Job right now. She shared with me that reading through Job was depressing and I told her that every year I struggle as I go through it myself!
Who can blame Job for what he shares in Job 21 when he thinks about his life compared to the lives of the wicked and ungodly around him? Haven't you done the same thing? I sure have! How come the ungodly seem to prosper and do so well financially? It sure looks like someone is blessing them.
I would be surprised (and I wouldn't believe you) if you said that you have never had that thought!
You and I have an advantage that Job did not have. We have the complete Bible. We have the big picture! We know how the story ends … Job did not, at least not like we do.
Maybe you feel a lot like Job did when he shared his feelings with his so-called friends. Maybe you also feel like you are getting a bum deal from God.
God loves me and you! He has big plans for us. He has plans for us that will last for eternity. He has something planned for us that is so good that we can't even begin to imagine how good that it is going to be.
So let's not compare ourselves with those around us. Let's look up and trust Him!
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 MESSAGE
So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.
And Job did not have the advantage of being able to read Psalm 37 like we can!
Psalm 37
1 Don’t worry about the wicked
    or envy those who do wrong.
2 For like grass, they soon fade away.
    Like spring flowers, they soon wither.
3 Trust in the Lord and do good.
    Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
4 Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you your heart’s desires.
5 Commit everything you do to the Lord.
    Trust him, and he will help you.
6 He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn,
    and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.
7 Be still in the presence of the Lord,
    and wait patiently for him to act.
Don’t worry about evil people who prosper
    or fret about their wicked schemes.
16 It is better to be godly and have little
    than to be evil and rich.
35 I have seen wicked and ruthless people
    flourishing like a tree in its native soil.
36 But when I looked again, they were gone!
    Though I searched for them, I could not find them!
Application
When I am struggling with problems and difficulties I will do my best not to compare myself with those around me and I will do my best to keep my eyes on Jesus.
How about you? … Why me? … Why not me!
Prayer
Heavenly Father, this world is not my home. I am just passing through. I am reminded that You have told me in Your Word that I am going to experience trouble in this life. And You told me in that same verse to have courage because Jesus has conquered this world. (John 16:33) You have also told me that what lies ahead for me is so wonderful that it is incomprehensible! (1 Corinthians 2:9) So thank You, Lord, for taking such good care of me.
I pray for those struggling right now with health issues, financial issues, relationship issues. Help them to trust in You. Help them to see their situation from Your perspective.
Daily Bible Reading: Job 21; Mark 5,6



No comments: