Thursday, October 17, 2019

You Stubborn People!


You
Stubborn
People!
Scripture
Acts 7
51 “You stubborn people! You are heathen at heart and deaf to the truth. Must you forever resist the Holy Spirit? That’s what your ancestors did, and so do you! 
52 Name one prophet your ancestors didn’t persecute! They even killed the ones who predicted the coming of the Righteous One—the Messiah whom you betrayed and murdered. 
53 You deliberately disobeyed God’s law, even though you received it from the hands of angels.”
54 The Jewish leaders were infuriated by Stephen’s accusation, and they shook their fists at him in rage. 
55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed steadily into heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 
56 And he told them, “Look, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand!”
57 Then they put their hands over their ears and began shouting. They rushed at him 
58 and dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. His accusers took off their coats and laid them at the feet of a young man named Saul.
59 As they stoned him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 
60 He fell to his knees, shouting, “Lord, don’t charge them with this sin!” And with that, he died.
Observation
Stephen was talking about some Jewish leaders, but he could have been talking about me and you! It all depends on the condition of our hearts!
This morning in my daily Bible reading I read about Stephen who was a man full of the Holy Spirit and about Job who God described as, “the finest man in all the earth”, yet both of these men suffered terribly.
You and I are also going to go through times of suffering. Not one of us is exempt.
What God has promised to us, as followers of Jesus Christ, is that He will be with us – always, no matter what we are going through!
Isaiah 43:1-3
1. … Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Matthew 28:20
20 … And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
John 16:33
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Isaiah 41:10
10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
Philippians 1:29
29 For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him.
Application

No matter what I go through, I know that Jesus is going to always be with me.

How about you? How are you handling what you are going through?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that You do not promise a trouble-free life. In fact, You have told me that I am going to have trouble. I shouldn't be surprised when I am faced with a trial. Help me to remember that no matter how bad it gets, no matter how terrible the situation, You will be right there with me.
I pray for my friends who are going through sickness right now or who are enduring the illness of a loved one. Give them strength. I pray that they will be able to remain close to You during this storm in their life. Show them that You are right there with them.
Job 1:21-22
21 He said,
I came naked from my mother’s womb,
    and I will be naked when I leave.
The Lord gave me what I had,
    and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord!”
22 In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.
Daily Bible Reading: Job 1,2; Acts 6,7



No comments: