Tuesday, October 22, 2019

“Sirs, What Must I Do To Be Saved?” They Replied, “Believe In The Lord Jesus And You Will Be Saved ...”


Sirs, What Must I Do To Be Saved?”
They Replied,
Believe In The Lord Jesus And You Will Be Saved ...”
Scripture
Acts 16
22 A mob quickly formed against Paul and Silas, and the city officials ordered them stripped and beaten with wooden rods. 
23 They were severely beaten, and then they were thrown into prison. The jailer was ordered to make sure they didn’t escape. 
24 So the jailer put them into the inner dungeon and clamped their feet in the stocks.
25 Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. 
26 Suddenly, there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off! 
27 The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself. 
28 But Paul shouted to him, “Stop! Don’t kill yourself! We are all here!”
29 The jailer called for lights and ran to the dungeon and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 
30 Then he brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household.” 
32 And they shared the word of the Lord with him and with all who lived in his household. 
33 Even at that hour of the night, the jailer cared for them and washed their wounds. Then he and everyone in his household were immediately baptized. 
34 He brought them into his house and set a meal before them, and he and his entire household rejoiced because they all believed in God.
Observation
Paul and Silas were severely beaten with wooden rods and then they were placed in the inner dungeon with their feet clamped in stocks.
So what would you do if that happened to you? What would I do if that happened to me?
What Paul and Silas did in the middle of the night, at midnight, had all the other prisoners listening and what they did caused a massive earthquake.
What they did caused all the doors in the prison to fly open and all the chains on every prisoner to suddenly fall off. Yet not one prisoner even tried to escape!
What did they do to cause all of this?
The severely beaten Paul and Silas, at midnight, began to pray and began to sing hymns, with everyone in the jail listening!
I love this story. It is all about God's love for a jailer.
God didn't send the earthquake to free Paul and Silas! He didn't send the earthquake to free any of the other prisoners either.
No, God sent the earthquake and God caused all the chains to fall off of all of the prisoners, not to free any of them, but to set a jailer and his family free ... free from the penalty of their sins!
What an amazing story!
Here is one take home, one lesson from this story for me: when I face adversity, when I face trials and hardships, the way I handle them can cause someone who is watching me turn to Christ.
That is if I handle my bad circumstances, the way Paul and Silas handled theirs!
Application
God is working in my life all the time, during the good times and the bad. Even when circumstances are not good I know that God expects me to praise Him, talk to Him, and trust Him.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to be like Paul and Silas. I want to be able to praise You no matter what is going on in my life. Give me a heart like theirs! They didn't complain about their wounds or their pain. They prayed and sang praises to You. Help me to have that kind of faith.
I pray for any person reading this blog today who is going through adversity. I pray for those who are suffering. Encourage them through this story of Paul and Silas and the jailer. Shake the ground wherever they are at with Your power. Give them Your strength. Help them to know that You are Sovereign and that You are in control even when things seem totally out of control and seem to be heading in the wrong direction.
Daily Bible Reading: Job 11,12; Acts 15,16

> I have made it a habit to pray for those who read this blog! I enjoy lifting you and your family up to the Lord in prayer.



No comments: