Tuesday, October 08, 2019

For They Have Given a Tiny Part Of Their Surplus, But She, Poor As She Is, Has Given Everything She Has.


For They Have Given a Tiny Part Of Their Surplus,
But She, Poor As She Is,
Has Given Everything She Has.
Scripture
Luke 21
1 While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. 

2 Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins.

3 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. 
4 For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”
Observation
When I read this story, I can just visualize Jesus sitting up at the front of our church watching all of us as we drop our offering into the offering plates as they are being passed.
It wasn't the size of the widow's offering that got Jesus' attention, it was how much she had left! She didn't have anything left. She gave everything that she had to her name and placed it in that offering plate.
That was over 2,000 years ago and we are still talking about what she did! How many of us have ever given sacrificially like that?
We don't hear how God blessed her for this sacrificial act, but I know that He did.
How do I know? Here is how I know! “Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke 6:38
Application
I want to be able to trust God with my finances as much as this widow did.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I have always been intrigued by this story. I have often thought and wondered about what happened to this widow after she gave away everything that day. I have to believe because of all of Your promises that You have given me in Your Word that You poured out Your blessings on her. One day I will get to meet her and I will get to hear about how You blessed her. Lord, give me a generous heart like hers. Give me her faith and give me the ability to trust in You like she did.
Daily Bible Reading: Ezra 9,10; Psalms 131; Luke 21
> I have made it a habit to pray for those who read this blog! I enjoy lifting you and your family up to the Lord in prayer.



No comments: