Thursday, October 10, 2019

And Jesus Replied, “I Assure You, Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise.”


And Jesus Replied,
I Assure You,
Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise.”
Scripture
Luke 23
38 A sign was fastened above him with these words: “This is the King of the Jews.”
39 One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, “So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!”
40 But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? 
41 We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” 
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”
43 And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Observation
The story of the crucifixion of Christ is not easy for me to read, but the horrific story is filled with God's love and forgiveness. As you know, two thieves were crucified on each side of Jesus.
Both of them at first, made fun of Jesus and ridiculed Him (Matthew 27:44), but in Luke's account, we discover that one of the thieves finally realized that Jesus was who He claimed to be and cried out to Jesus asking for Jesus to save him. The thief cried out, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus' response to this repentant thief, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
This story gives me hope. Hope, that some special people in my life who are presently living their lives like God doesn't exist, will one day finally place their faith and trust in Jesus and cry out to Jesus, asking Jesus to save them.
I know that there is no guarantee that they will repent. The other thief never repented. The thief went to his death scorning the Savior. Salvation was so close to both of the thieves, one received forgiveness and one did not.
Application
I will keep praying for loved ones who presently refuse to acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
How about you? Which thief, crucified next to Jesus, best represents you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, this thief did nothing to earn salvation. Yet, one day I will see him in Paradise. I have also done nothing to earn salvation, but I know that one day I will be with You in Paradise. I don't deserve it. I am a sinner. But, I am forgiven. You took the punishment for my sins on the cross. Thank You, Jesus, for dying in my place and paying the punishment for my sins.
I pray for my loved ones who still need to be saved. They still need to repent and acknowledge that Jesus is their Lord and Savior. I pray for their salvation. Open up their heart, Lord. Open up their spiritual eyes like You did for the thief on the cross. I don't want them to die without a relationship with Jesus.
Daily Bible Reading: Nehemiah 3,4; Luke 23



No comments: