Thursday, October 29, 2020

Do Not Be Overawed When Others Grow Rich, When The Splendor Of Their Houses Increases;

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Do Not Be Overawed

When Others Grow Rich,

When The Splendor Of Their Houses Increases;

Scripture

Psalm 49

16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
    when the splendor of their houses increases;

17 for they will take nothing with them when they die,
    their splendor will not descend with them.

18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
    and people praise you when you prosper—

19 they will join those who have gone before them,
    who will never again see the light of life.

20 People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish.

Observation

This past Tuesday, Kathy and I walked through a cemetery in the small mountain town of Ellijay, Georgia. She had heard from a cousin of her's that some of her distant relatives were buried in a cemetery in that town.

As we wandered through the old cemetery reading all of the tombstones we came across markers of folks who obviously didn't have much money when they were alive and we also came across people who must have been very well off during their lifetime.

I realize that my legacy will not be measured by how many toys (houses, trucks, cars, boats, businesses etc.) I have accumulated during my life-time. Nobody is going to be overawed by my stuff.

Application

Hopefully what I leave behind will be people … people whose lives that have been forever changed because of their relationship with Christ.

How about you? What is the priority of your life?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, don't let me be overawed by the stuff that other people have. Help me to be content with a simple life. We are blessed. You have been so very very good to us. Don't let me miss an opportunity to touch someone's life today and encourage them to move closer to You. Nothing is more important than the people that You bring into my life.

Daily Bible Reading: Job 20; Mark 3,4; I added: Psalm 29, Psalm 39, Psalm 49; Proverbs 29

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: