Monday, October 05, 2020

O God, Be Merciful To Me, For I Am A Sinner.

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

O God,

Be Merciful To Me,

For I Am A Sinner.

Scripture

Luke 18

9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 

10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 

11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 

12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’

14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Observation

It is the attitude of our heart that makes the difference when we pray not the actual words we say! Here in this passage we find the key to a successful prayer life – it is humility.

We can't flatter God – He knows our hearts!

James 4:10

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.

Proverbs 4:23

23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

2 Chronicles 7:14

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.

Application

What God wants from me is a broken and contrite heart. He wants honesty. He wants integrity. He wants me to come to Him in brokenness and in humility.

Psalm 51

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.

17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to come to You with an attitude of humility. Hear me when I pray when I come to You in brokenness and not in arrogance. Put on my heart the things that are on Your heart. Don't ever let me think that I am something that I am not.

I pray for my pastor Dr. Waylon B. Moore today on his birthday. Bless him, Lord, with a very special day.

My prayer for him and his family is found in Numbers 6:24-26 “May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace.”

Daily Bible Reading: Esther 3,4,5,6,7,8; Luke 18

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: