Monday, August 11, 2008

Just As I Have Loved You…It’s A High Standard!

Jeremiah 7; Jeremiah 8; Jeremiah 9; John 13
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

John 13

34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

Observation

You don’t understand, you don’t know what bad things that person has done to me I can’t love them. Our measuring stick for how we should love someone is not how he or she has treated us, but how Christ has treated us. I understand what the person is saying when they say that but they are not loving people with God’s kind of love.

When we only love people in proportion to how they love us we are always going to feel shorted. When Jesus washed the disciples feet it was demonstrating a sacrificial Agape kind of love. It is loving people even when they don’t deserve it.

Oscar Thompson, one of my old seminary professors, gave me this definition of love: it is meeting a person's needs, both physical and spiritual. Sometimes that requires tough love, but it is always to help meet that person's deepest needs.

You may say, “Eddy you don’t know how bad this person has treated me,” and while that is certainly true I don’t my response to you is love him or her like Christ loves you and not like how they are mistreating you. And this kind of love for someone is impossible if you are not walking closely with the Lord. Impossible!

Application

I will look for someone that needs an act of kindness today.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to love people like you do. Help me to love them deeply with a selfless kind of love. Give me your eyes and your heart today for the people around me. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to love someone with your Agape love. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: