Saturday, August 16, 2008

“I AM” is Totally In Control!

2 Kings 24; Jeremiah 22; Psalm 112; John 18
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

John 18

1 When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was an olive grove, and he and his disciples went into it.

2 Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. 3 So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

4 Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

5 "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.

"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6 When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

7 Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."

8 "I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go." 9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."

Observation

I have a lot of favorite chapters in the Bible but this chapter has to be right up there at the top of the list. I can feel the action. Jesus is in total control even though it seems that everyone else is controlling the situation. Here are all the characters that thought that they were in control:

1. Detachment of soldiers 300-600
2. Chief priest, other officials and some Pharisees
3. Judas
4. Satan
5. Simon Peter
6. Pilate

Jesus was in total control. It looked like Peter was going to really mess things up when he cut off the high priest servant’s ear, but Jesus quickly put it back on and I think that totally freaked out everyone that thought they had any power over Jesus. I can imagine how the guys felt when they went to actually arrest Jesus and tie him up. I believe that they were probably scared to death and knew that Jesus had the power to destroy them if He wanted to.

My favorite part of this chapter is when Jesus asked the 300-600 soldiers whom they came to arrest and they replied Jesus of Nazareth. “Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

They fell backwards to the ground just at the mention of His Name, “I AM”. In the Gospel of John Jesus has used that phrase often to describe Himself. Just as God did in Exodus with Moses when He told Moses to go and deliver the Hebrews out of Egypt.

"I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. "I am the light of the world. "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" I am the gate for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. "I am the resurrection and the life. "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Application

I will not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, give me boldness like Peter had after the resurrection of Christ. Thank you for dying on the cross for me. You didn’t have to let them arrest You. You could have called down thousands of Angels who were probably right there watching everything that happened that night.

You are the Good Shepherd and I just don’t understand why some Christians that used to be in leadership for You now continue to choose to disobey you rather than to walk with You through life. I just don’t get it. I ask that You to raise up laborers for the harvest and I ask that You bless our church. Thank You for every person that is in a leadership position. Help them to be successful and help them to continue to grow. In Jesus Name Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: