Saturday, August 09, 2008

“Unwrap him and let him go!”

Jeremiah 3; Jeremiah 4; John 11
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

John 11

17 When Jesus arrived at Bethany, he was told that Lazarus had already been in his grave for four days. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died. 25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”

38 Jesus was still angry as he arrived at the tomb, a cave with a stone rolled across its entrance. 39 “Roll the stone aside,” Jesus told them.
But Martha, the dead man’s sister, protested, “Lord, he has been dead for four days. The smell will be terrible.”

40 Jesus responded, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe?” 41 So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, thank you for hearing me. 42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.”

43 Then Jesus shouted, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth.

Jesus told them, “Unwrap him and let him go!”


Observation

This is one of my most favorite stories in the entire Bible! It is full of action and excitement! Jesus says, “Roll the stone away” and immediately Martha protest because she knows that a body that has been dead for four days is not going to smell good at all. Jesus ignores what she says and they roll back the stone away from the entrance and Jesus shouts, “Lazarus, come out!” Now, think about this, Lazarus is all wrapped up in cloth like a mummy, but Jesus tells him to come out!

He must have hopped out of that cave, but I bet he came out fast! Can you imagine what was going through Lazarus’ mind or the minds of those that were watching! It is an amazing story.

Before a person receives Christ and becomes a Christ follower they are like Lazarus, dead in the grave. They are dead men walking. Before we come to Christ sin wraps us up and has us all bound up. But when we come to Christ we are unwrapped and set free and we are no longer slaves to sin. I love verses 25-26, “…I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die…”

God says that those that are Christians smell good!

2 Corinthians 2:15 “For to God we are the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.”

Application

I will be ready to share the Good News of Jesus with someone today so they can be “unwrapped and set free”!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that miracles happen in our lives to help us believe and to help us trust in you. I pray that today I will be able to see your miraculous hand in what happens today. Give me your thoughts. Give me your eyes and your heart so I can see people today just like you see them. Thank you for answering my prayers for the sick that I have been praying for. You are an awesome God. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: