Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Hard Hearts are not from God

2 Kings 23; 2 Chronicles 35; John 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

John 7

24 Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly.”

Observation

The Pharisees wanted to kill Jesus because he healed on the Sabbath. Even though healing someone was obviously a miracle that only God could do they couldn’t handle it being done on the Sabbath because it broke one of their rules. Their traditions had blinded them from seeing God. Jesus pointed out to them how they even break this rule that they wanted to kill him for breaking.

Jesus replied, “I did one miracle on the Sabbath, and you were amazed. 22 But you work on the Sabbath, too, when you obey Moses’ law of circumcision. (Actually, this tradition of circumcision began with the patriarchs, long before the law of Moses.) 23 For if the correct time for circumcising your son falls on the Sabbath, you go ahead and do it so as not to break the law of Moses. So why should you be angry with me for healing a man on the Sabbath? 24 Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly.”

He told them to look beneath the surface, to dig deeper, but they refused to do it.

Application

I need to look beneath the surface and not be so quick to judge people.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me not to judge people and be just another Pharisee like I am reading about this morning. Give me your heart. Help me see people the way you do. I pray that I will have compassion for people and not have such a hard heart. I pray for those that struggle with addictions and that are driven and destroyed by them. I pray that our church will be able to continue to be a safe place where people can get the help and support that they need to be able to walk in victory. I pray that you strengthen our Celebrate Recovery ministry. I pray for our CR leaders Orville and Linda Renner and I pray that you bring people along side of them to help them grow this ministry even stronger than it is today. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: