Sunday, September 12, 2010

Are You a Slow Learner Too?

Daniel 3; Daniel 4; Psalm 81; Revelation 17
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Worse Than a Fiery Furnace!

Scripture

Daniel 4

28 “But all these things did happen to King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 Twelve months later he was taking a walk on the flat roof of the royal palace in Babylon. 30 As he looked out across the city, he said, ‘Look at this great city of Babylon! By my own mighty power, I have built this beautiful city as my royal residence to display my majestic splendor.’

31 “While these words were still in his mouth, a voice called down from heaven, ‘O King Nebuchadnezzar, this message is for you! You are no longer ruler of this kingdom. 32 You will be driven from human society. You will live in the fields with the wild animals, and you will eat grass like a cow. Seven periods of time will pass while you live this way, until you learn that the Most High rules over the kingdoms of the world and gives them to anyone he chooses.’

33 “That same hour the judgment was fulfilled, and Nebuchadnezzar was driven from human society. He ate grass like a cow, and he was drenched with the dew of heaven. He lived this way until his hair was as long as eagles’ feathers and his nails were like birds’ claws.

Nebuchadnezzar Praises God

34 “After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever…37 “Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud.”

Observation

If you took time to read today’s Bible reading you had the chance to read about:

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. 18 But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.”

Nebuchadnezzar had built a ninety-foot tall statue and made everyone bow down and worship the statue, but Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused. It is an amazing story! Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego walked around in that furnace and Jesus was walking around with them! After Nebuchadnezzar called for them to come out of the furnace the Bible says that not a hair on their body was burned, their clothes didn’t even smell like they had been near a fire. Amazing!

You would have thought that Nebuchadnezzar would have learned the lesson but he didn’t and he spent seven years living like a wild animal to learn humility. After the seven years of insanity and living out in the wild like an animal this is what he finally said about God, “After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever… “Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud.”
It took all of that for Nebuchadnezzar to learn that God is able to humble the proud. God can still do the same thing with us today if He needs to do so. Hopefully we won’t be so stubborn.

Application

I will worship the only True God and His name is Jesus! I will not be a slow learner when it comes to pride.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me remember that You are the only True God. Don’t let me become proud and turn away from worshiping You. Thank You for guiding me. Give me the faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and Daniel. I pray that our people would hear the message about reaching the world for Christ as Clyde Meador preaches. I pray that You anoint him and use him in a mighty way in our church. I pray for Bruce and Heather and Gwendolyn as they come for the first time today. I pray that our people would have open hearts for them and I pray that You would bless their leadership within our church.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: