Sunday, September 26, 2010

“BYSS” Because You Say So!

Ezra 4; Psalm 113; Psalm 127; Luke 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


“BYSS” Because You Say So!

Scripture

Luke 9

The Cost of Following Jesus

57 As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”
59 He said to another person, “Come, follow me.”
The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”
60 But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”
61 Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.”
62 But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”

Observation

Sometimes as we read the scriptures we might think that everyone followed Jesus, but they didn’t. You would think that if you saw Jesus and were able to see Him perform the miracles that we read about in the New Testament that it would be easy to believe in Him and become His follower, but we see from this passage that many said “no” to Jesus.

These fellows seemed to have good reasons for not following Jesus, but actually they must have just been just poor excuses.
Immediate obedience is what Christ is looking for because delayed obedience is not obedience at all. When we tell our children to do something and they don’t do it and after we repeatedly tell them to do it they finally do it that is disobedience not obedience isn’t it.

What has Jesus put on you heart to do? Will you do it? Will you do it right now? Why not be obedient?
Here is a good story that we read this past week that illustrates how we should be obedient when Christ asks us to do something.

Take a minute to read it:

Luke 5

The First Disciples

1 One day as Jesus was preaching on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, great crowds pressed in on him to listen to the word of God. 2 He noticed two empty boats at the water’s edge, for the fishermen had left them and were washing their nets. 3 Stepping into one of the boats, Jesus asked Simon, its owner, to push it out into the water. So he sat in the boat and taught the crowds from there.
4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Now go out where it is deeper, and let down your nets to catch some fish.”
5 “Master,” Simon replied, “we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.” 6 And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear! 7 A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.
8 When Simon Peter realized what had happened, he fell to his knees before Jesus and said, “Oh, Lord, please leave me—I’m too much of a sinner to be around you.” 9 For he was awestruck by the number of fish they had caught, as were the others with him. 10 His partners, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were also amazed.
Jesus replied to Simon, “Don’t be afraid! From now on you’ll be fishing for people!” 11 And as soon as they landed, they left everything and followed Jesus.

Application

When Jesus asks me to do something I will remember this story and I will respond “BYSS”. “Because You Say So” I will do it.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be obedient even when I don’t feel like it. I want You to direct me through this day. This is Your day. It is the day the church comes together for corporate worship. Help us to worship You with all of our hearts. I pray that people would be moved in their hearts by the power of Your Holy Spirit. I pray that Your hand would be on our church today. I pray for You to move in the hearts of people today and put a desire in their hearts to follow You. Help me “BYSS” when You ask me to do something today.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: