Saturday, September 04, 2010

Friendship, Fellowship, and Followship

Ezekiel 22; Ezekiel 23; Ezekiel 24; Revelation 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Friendship, Fellowship, and Followship

Scripture

John 21:15-19

After breakfast Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you."
"Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him.
[16] Jesus repeated the question: "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I love you."
"Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said.
[17] Once more he asked him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was grieved that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, "Lord, you know everything. You know I love you."

Jesus said, "Then feed my sheep. [18] The truth is, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked and go wherever you wanted to. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will direct you and take you where you don't want to go." [19] Jesus said this to let him know what kind of death he would die to glorify God. Then Jesus told him, "Follow me."

Observation

I know that John 21 is not in my daily Bible reading for today, but John 21 is the text for the sermon tomorrow.
There are three important things that I want to share tomorrow from the story found in John 21: Friendship, Fellowship, Followship.

When Jesus talked with Peter it was to restore those three things between them that had been messed up when Peter denied Christ three times when Jesus was arrested. You remember that Peter denied Christ three times and the rooster crowed just as Jesus had predicted. Peter had proudly told Jesus that he would never deny him to which Jesus told him that he would not only deny him, but that he would deny Him three times.

So three times we find Jesus asking Peter, “Do you love me” to which Peter painfully replied, “Yes, Lord you know that I love You.”

Satan wants to mess up our relationship with Christ. He wants to mess up our friendship, our fellowship, and our followship! If Satan can he will take you away or keep you from making strong Christian friendships, he will, if he can, take you away from having fellowship with other believers, and once he does that then you are no longer following Christ. Satan wants to take you out. He wants to make you ineffective for Christ. He wants to neutralize you. He wants to make it where you no longer bring God glory.

Jesus wants to restore the friendship, He wants to restore our fellowship, so we can follow Him completely.

Application

I will ask the Lord to put on my heart that person or persons that needs restoration.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that my Christian friends are so important. I watch people that don’t make friends and I feel so sorry for them. They don’t understand the Gospel. To be obedient to Your command to “Love one another” I know that it can only be done through friendships and relationships. I pray for our small groups and I pray for leaders that have Your heart for people. Loving You is ministering and serving those around us. I understand that is how we love You. Help me to do that today with all of my heart.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: