Friday, September 24, 2010

Do You Go Around Forgiving Sins?

Ezra 1; Psalm 84; Psalm 85; Luke 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Do You Go Around Forgiving Sins?

Scripture

Luke 7

Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

36 One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to have dinner with him, so Jesus went to his home and sat down to eat. 37 When a certain immoral woman from that city heard he was eating there, she brought a beautiful alabaster jar filled with expensive perfume. 38 Then she knelt behind him at his feet, weeping. Her tears fell on his feet, and she wiped them off with her hair. Then she kept kissing his feet and putting perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know what kind of woman is touching him. She’s a sinner!”
40 Then Jesus answered his thoughts. “Simon,” he said to the Pharisee, “I have something to say to you.”
“Go ahead, Teacher,” Simon replied.

41 Then Jesus told him this story: “A man loaned money to two people—500 pieces of silver to one and 50 pieces to the other. 42 But neither of them could repay him, so he kindly forgave them both, canceling their debts. Who do you suppose loved him more after that?”

43 Simon answered, “I suppose the one for whom he canceled the larger debt.”

“That’s right,” Jesus said. 44 Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn’t offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You didn’t greet me with a kiss, but from the time I first came in, she has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume.

47 “I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” 48 Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.”
49 The men at the table said among themselves, “Who is this man, that he goes around forgiving sins?”

50 And Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Observation

Forgiving people is huge! When someone hurts us it is so easy to retaliate and take revenge or pout and bad mouth the person that caused the hurt. Jesus was known as the guy that went around forgiving people. In fact, Jesus is still known for His capacity to forgive.

How much are you and I like Jesus? How easily and how quickly do we forgive people when they injure us?

This immoral woman came and fell at Jesus’ feet. She kissed his feet. She washed them with her tears using her hair to clean his feet. She poured out rare perfume on his feet.

Jesus compared her actions with that of Simon’s, the man who had invited Jesus to be a guest in his home. Jesus knew Simon’s thoughts. He also knew the thoughts of the immoral woman. The immoral woman was repentant of her sins. She went away from that encounter with Jesus saved. Simon…?

Have you come to Jesus yet? Have you asked Jesus to save you? Does your heart break for the people around you?

Application

I will look for the opportunity to share this story with someone today.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me love people like you love them. Help me to forgive people that hurt me. Help me look over the sins that someone commits and see them as You see them. Give me Your heart for the people around me. Help me not be like Simon in this story. Help me not be like a Pharisee today. I pray that You direct me through this day. I want to bring You glory and honor today.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: