Sunday, December 18, 2016

Everybody Is Going To Him Instead Of Coming To Us.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

Everybody Is Going
To Him
Instead Of Coming To Us. 




Scripture

John 3

26 So John’s disciples came to him and said, “Rabbi, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River, the one you identified as the Messiah, is also baptizing people. And everybody is going to him instead of coming to us.”

27 John replied, “No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. 28 You yourselves know how plainly I told you, ‘I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.’

 29 It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the bridegroom’s friend is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. 30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

Observation

Envy, competition, the desire to be recognized, the need to be top dog, the need to be rewarded ... the disciples of John, yes, they were just like us! Okay, I actually don’t know about you so I will only speak of myself. Sometimes it is hard to celebrate when others are successful. I have noticed that it is easy, at least for me, to be critical of those big television preachers (like Joel and others) when I don’t even no them at all.

John the Baptist was very successful at this time in his ministry and had throngs of people coming to him to be baptized. All of a sudden Jesus began His ministry and the people, even John’s disciples, were turning and following Jesus. John was able to see the big picture. He was able to see things from God’s perspective and so he said, “I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.”

When I think of some truly great contemporary Christian leaders like Billy Graham, Chuck Swindol, and Adrian Rogers I realize that they had an army of people that surrounded them and worked hard to make those leaders successful.

Application

I will strive to make those around me successful. How about you?

Prayer


Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding me this morning that this world is not my home. I belong to a Kingdom that is not made with hands. Don’t let me have a critical spirit. Help me to speak of others in a way that will build them up and not tear them down. When I don’t have anything good to say about someone help me to keep my mouth shut. Give me Your heart and Your eyes for those around me. Give me wisdom and discernment so that I may bring You glory and honor with the way that I live my life. 


Daily Bible Reading:  John 2,3,4





Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: