Thursday, January 09, 2020

“I Will Follow You, Lord; But First Let Me Go Back And Say Goodbye To My Family”


I Will Follow You, Lord;
But First Let Me Go Back
And Say Goodbye To My Family”
Scripture
Luke 9
57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
Observation
I will follow you, Lord; but …” Excuses for why you and I may not be following Jesus are just that … excuses! I can make excuses for everything … but that is just what they are – excuses!
What is God saying to me? What is God saying to you? What He wants from me is obedience – what is He asking us to do that we have been ignoring or that we have been making excuses about?
Think about these verses … Luke 5:11, “So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.” Matthew 19:27 Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”
Being a disciple of Jesus is costly but the benefits are out of this world!
Let's not make excuses!
Application
I will ask the Lord to help me be obedient and not let me make excuses.
How about you?
Psalm 51:16-17
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I want to be a disciple like Peter, James, and John. I want to be willing to follow You without hesitation just like they did. Don't let me make excuses when I fail to be obedient. Convict me and help me get back on track.
I pray for any person who may read this blog. Help them to be 100% committed to You. Help them to put Proverbs 3:5-6 into practice today!
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
    do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
    and he will show you which path to take.
Daily Bible Reading: Genesis 23,24; Luke 9



No comments: