Saturday, January 11, 2020

In Peace I Will Lie Down And Sleep, For You Alone, O Lord, Will Keep Me Safe.


In Peace
I Will Lie Down And Sleep,
For You Alone, O Lord, Will Keep Me Safe.
Scripture
Psalm 4
8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

Observation
Do you have trouble sleeping at night? A while back Kathy was having trouble sleeping and was letting fears keep her awake. I noticed one day that she had Psalm 4:8 written down on a piece of paper on the night stand by her side of the bed.
She told me that she had memorized that verse and would pray it back to God when she began to think about things that would keep her awake.
God has given us thousands of promises in His Word for us to hold on to because He knew that this world was a scary place to live in and He knew that we would constantly need to be reminded that He would take care of us.
Here is another great promise that was also in today's Bible reading. It is found in Luke 11:5-13.
Luke 11
5 Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, 
6 ‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ 
7 And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ 
8 But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.
9 “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 
10 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
11 “You fathers—if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? 
12 Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! 
13 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”
Whatever you and I are going through God has a promise for that … and we can find a promise for every need in our life if we will just spend time in His Word every day.
Application
Every day I will read God's Word because I know that it is filled with wonderful promises for me.
How about you? Would you join me every day this year digging into the riches of what He has for us?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, You have called me to live by faith. It is impossible for me to live my life by faith if I am not in Your Word every day. Don't let me miss a day. Don't let me sleep in and miss time with You. Thank You for the promises that I read today. I know that I can sleep well at night because You are going to take care of me. I know that if I call on You and ask You for something that You will hear me and You will give me what I ask for. I know from Luke 11:5-13 that it doesn't bother You if I am persistent. In fact, You tell me that I should keep asking and never give up. And that is just what I plan to do.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
Daily Bible Reading: Genesis 27,28; Psalms 4; Luke 11



No comments: