Friday, December 24, 2010

Fishing and Catching Nothing

John 19; John 20; John 21
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Fishing and Catching Nothing

Scripture

John 21

3 “I’m going out to fish,” Simon Peter told them, and they said, “We’ll go with you.” So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

Observation

Peter didn’t say to his buddies, “Let’s go fishing”; instead he said to them, “I’m going out to fish.” Why in the world did he decide to go fishing then and why did the disciples decide to go with him? We will never know, but we do know that even though they did something that doesn’t make good sense to us Jesus met them where they were.

There are times when I do things out of habit or because of a habit or a routine just to feel safe. Fishing is what those guys grew up doing and it was probably what they did every day before meeting Jesus.

Jesus doesn’t scold them for going fishing. He even helps them catch fish and then He feeds them fish and bread and even cooks some of the fish that they have caught. It is a lesson for them and a lesson for us. The lesson is this: When we do things on our own we will not be successful, but when we do things with Christ we will be very successful. They seemed to have learned the lesson because the only fishing mentioned after this in scripture was fishing for men!

Application

I can do all things through Christ and without Him I can do nothing. I recognize today that He is the Vine and I am a branch and I need to stay connected to Him to be successful.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me put into practice what I just wrote as an application and help me to do all things through Christ and not on my own. Guide me today. Help me to please You with the choices that I make. Don’t let the Devil get a foothold in my life today. Thank You for coming to this earth to do something for us that we could not do for ourselves, which is taking away our sins. Thank You for forgiving me of my sins.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: