Monday, December 06, 2010

How To Experience The Peace of God

Philippians 1; Philippians 2; Philippians 3; Philippians 4

Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

How To Experience The Peace of God

Scripture

Philippians 4

6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.

Observation

There is a connection between what Paul writes about in verses 6-7 and what he writes about in verses 8-9, both sets of verses talk about having the peace of God. The first set of verses say that the peace of God comes when you don’t worry about anything and you pray about everything. You also have to be thankful to God for what He is doing and what He has done. In the second set of verses Paul tells us that the focus of our thoughts needs to be on what is true and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable, and excellent and worthy of praise then we will experience the peace of God.

So when I am troubled and disturbed and don’t have the peace of God that Paul describes in chapter 4 I should immediately do a little test. Am I worrying? Am I praying with thanksgiving? Is my focus on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and worthy of praise? If I flunk the above quiz then what should I do? I should get my focus off my circumstances and place it back on Heavenly things, Kingdom stuff, and do it with thanksgiving in my heart.

Application

I will meditate on and put into practice these verses this week.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me not to worry about anything and help me to remember to pray to You about everything with a thankful heart. Help me to keep my focus on the right things because I want to experience Your peace that is greater than anything else. The things that I tend to worry about are not the important things in life. The things that grab my attention and my focus are many times not the things that are true and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable, and excellent and worthy of praise, but those are the things that I want to focus on. Help me to do just that.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: