Sunday, August 25, 2013

They Lowered Him Down With Ropes. There Wasn’t Any Water In The Cistern, Only Mud. Jeremiah Sank Down Into The Mud.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Jeremiah 37; Jeremiah 38; Jeremiah 39; Psalm 79; 2 John 1

They Lowered Him Down With Ropes.

There Wasn’t Any Water In The Cistern, Only Mud.

Jeremiah Sank Down Into The Mud. 

Scripture

Jeremiah 38

So the officials took Jeremiah from his cell and lowered him by ropes into an empty cistern in the prison yard. It belonged to Malkijah, a member of the royal family. There was no water in the cistern, but there was a thick layer of mud at the bottom, and Jeremiah sank down into it.

Observation

Jeremiah was literally down in the pit and this was not going to be a very good day for him. I can’t even imagine how bad this must have been. I have been lowered down into a hand dug well before but only to inspect and repair one never as a form of punishment. And I wasn’t left down in the bottom of one left alone sinking in the mud. It was definitely not a very good day to be the Prophet Jeremiah. 

God delivered him. God punished those who had thrown him down into that pit. He was ultimately rescued and his enemies were destroyed. 

But life was challenging to say the least for this faithful man of God. God has called us to live this life for Him. He has not called us to a life of ease. Sometimes like the Prophet Jeremiah God calls on us to experience tremendous sacrifice, to know pain, and to be mistreated. But God is Faithful. He will rescue us. We, like Jeremiah, will be victorious!

The Apostle Paul reminds us that we are in a spiritual battle. He encourages us to fight the good fight. 

Easy street is for wimps. God has called us into battle.  

Application

 I will remain faithful to my God. He is my Fortress. He is My Strength!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, the next time that I get down in the pit help me to remember the example of Jeremiah. Give me his strength and his tremendous faith. He seemed to be the only one who trusted in You, but he did not waiver. He remained steadfast. 

Lord, You are my rock, my fortress, and my Savior; my Rock in whom I find protection. You are my shield, You are the power that saves me, and You are my place of safety.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

http://www.enewhope.org/bible/

No comments: