Tuesday, April 21, 2015

“Foxes Have Dens To Live In, And Birds Have Nests, But The Son Of Man Has No Place Even To Lay His Head”


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

“Foxes Have Dens To Live In,
And Birds Have Nests,
But The Son Of Man Has No Place Even To Lay His Head”

What excuse are you using for not following Jesus? 

Scripture

Matthew 8

19 Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”

20 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”

21 Another of his disciples said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”

22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me now. Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead.

Observation

 God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8

The call for you and the call for me is the same this morning – Jesus is telling both of us – “Follow Me”. 

You and I can get distracted so easily from His call. It only takes missing church one Sunday, two Sundays, three Sundays, to "I am not going back there anymore". 

The distraction is small. Our heart that was once hungry for God has now grown cold. The world once again has its grip on us.

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

I do think that Jesus is saying to us this morning, “Follow me”. No more excuses.

Lets follow Him with a pure heart. Lets leave all distractions behind. Lets once again put Him first in our lives. 

In this same chapter there is found a Roman soldier that did just that and here is Jesus’ commentary about that man:

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to those who were following him, he said, “I tell you the truth, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!  Matthew 8:10

I want to be a disciple that amazes Jesus with my faith. I don’t want to be a disciple that makes excuses for not following Him. 

How about you? 

Application

I will not give up on people who have become distracted and seem to have lost interest in putting the Lord first. I know that it could happen to me if I allow the things of this world to distract me.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to be someone who amazes You and not disappoints You. Give me mountain-moving faith! Don’t let my heart grow cold. Don’t let me become distracted with the things of this world. I pray for those that have seemingly lost interest in church and seem distant when they were so on fire for You. Help them Lord. Rekindle the fire in their hearts. Set them on fire again. 

I pray for my son Hugh today on his birthday. Bless him Lord. Show him Your love and Your power. May Your face shine on him and his family today.

Psalm 57

Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens!
    May your glory shine over all the earth.


My heart is confident in you, O God;
    my heart is confident.
    No wonder I can sing your praises!


I will thank you, Lord, among all the people.
    I will sing your praises among the nations.


10 For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens.
    Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.


11 Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.
    May your glory shine over all the earth. 


Daily Bible Reading:  1 Samuel 24; Psalm 57,58; 1 Chronicles 8; Matthew 8

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: