Wednesday, April 29, 2015

“Anyone Who Intends To Come With Me Has To Let Me Lead. You’re Not In The Driver’s Seat; I Am.”


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

“Anyone Who Intends To Come With Me Has To Let Me Lead.
You’re Not In The Driver’s Seat;
I Am.” 

I am so proud of the Southern Baptist pastor that I saw yesterday on television who was being interviewed about the riots in Baltimore.

Scripture

Matthew 16

24-26 Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for? Message

Observation

Rules for Kingdom living are certainly different from the way we normally think! 

Jesus spent a lot of His time correcting His disciples who tended to think just the way we tend to naturally think today!

Jesus doesn’t want us to live the way the rest of the world lives! He wants us to be the salt and the light in this world.

I am so proud of the Southern Baptist pastor that I saw yesterday on television who was being interviewed about the riots in Baltimore. While he was protesting peacefully the night before with others and doing what he felt God wanted him to do the building that he has spent 10 years of his life building was burnt down. The building, a Center for Senior Adults was burnt down to the ground by rioters and looters. 

This Pastor exhibited no anger about the loss and no hate towards the thugs that committed this senseless crime. He was positive. His message was powerful. He shared that he used to be one of those kids on the street, but through the influence of a godly Mom and others his life had been transformed. Jesus was definitely in the driver’s seat of this pastor’s life.

Our church is so culturally diverse and so “all people friendly” that I forget sometimes that the world we live in is not at all like our church.

When I hear of the discrimination that still goes on in our country and in our own city it is hard for me to believe it. How dumb is that! Then this verse comes to my mind and reminds me of the condition of our hearts:

    "The human heart is most deceitful and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? Jeremiah 17:9

Application

I will help and encourage our church to take a stand against racial discrimination. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, You love all the children of this world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are all precious in Your sight. Give us Your heart for those who are being discriminated against just because of the way that You created them. Give me Your heart for the people around me. Help me to be a person of compassion and action. Show us how to respond to social injustice.


Daily Bible Reading:  2 Samuel 4,5; Psalm 139; Matthew 16

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: