Tuesday, August 04, 2015

We Want To Perform God’s Works, Too. What Should We Do?


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

We Want To Perform
God’s Works, Too.
What Should We Do? 

His response to their request was this, “The only work God wants from you is for you to believe in me!” 

Scripture

John 6

26 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. 27 But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”

28 They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”
29 Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

Observation

John 6 contains one of my favorite stories and it is probably one of your favorites too! It is where we find the feeding of the 5,000! After Jesus has fed the 5,000 (actually the number could be as high 15,000 to 20,000 if you count the women and children) with a boy’s lunch - 2 tiny fish and 5 small loaves of bread.

The next day after this spectacular miracle the people were once again following Jesus hoping that He would perform other miracles especially if they involved food! They also wanted to do stuff for God like Jesus was doing. They wanted to do the same kind of “good works”.

His response to their request was this, “The only work God wants from you is for you to believe in me!”

It reminds me of the story found in Acts 16 when the jailer falls on his knees before the Apostle Paul and Silas and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” I love their answer to this terrified jailer, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household!”

You and I must “believe” in Jesus Christ. We must turn from sin and self. We must put our faith and trust in Him. We must surrender our lives to Him asking Him to forgive us of our sins.  Jesus Christ lived a sinless life. He voluntarily died on a cross to pay the penalty of our sins. He was buried and on the third day He came back to life.

Do you believe? Is Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior? 

If you were to die today where would you spend Eternity?


Application

I will continue to share my faith every chance I have! How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I love the stories found in Your Word. No matter how many times I read them I never get tired of them and they always speak to my heart. I know that Jesus is the Bread of Life. He is the Living Water. He is the Great I AM! I know that You can take care of every one of my needs. Nothing is impossible for You. I pray for anyone that may be reading this blog that is still trying to do good things to be able to go to Heaven. Show them that the only work that they need to do is to just believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.


Daily Bible Reading:  2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34; John 6

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: