Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Seventy Years Are Given To Us! Some Even Live To Eighty. Teach Us To Realize The Brevity Of Life


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

Seventy Years Are Given To Us!
Some Even Live To Eighty.
Teach Us To Realize The Brevity Of Life




Scripture

Psalm 90

10 Seventy years are given to us!
    Some even live to eighty.


But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble;
    soon they disappear, and we fly away.


11 Who can comprehend the power of your anger?
    Your wrath is as awesome as the fear you deserve.


12 Teach us to realize the brevity of life,
    so that we may grow in wisdom.


Observation

Dirt Naps, we are all going to take one! This is what my good friend James Hartley calls it when we die, our “dirt nap”.

In March, less than a month away I will be 65 years old. And I am reminded as I read Psalm 90 this morning just what that means for me. It means that I am moving closer and closer to a “dirt nap”.

Dying does not scare me. Not finishing well during the last years of my life does bother me. How about you?

Maybe you are not quite as old as I am but as we sadly learned with the Kalamazoo, Michigan random shootings that we never know when we will meet death!

Application

Teach me to realize the brevity of my life.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to live knowing that my days are numbered. You hold my very breath in Your Hand. Help me to finish well. 

Lord, through all the generations you have been our home! Before the mountains were born, before you gave birth to the earth and the world, from beginning to end, you are God. You turn people back to dust, saying, “Return to dust, you mortals!” For you, a thousand years are as a passing day, as brief as a few night hours.  

You sweep people away like dreams that disappear. They are like grass that springs up in the morning. In the morning it blooms and flourishes, but by evening it is dry and withered. We wither beneath your anger; we are overwhelmed by your fury. You spread out our sins before you— our secret sins—and you see them all. 

We live our lives beneath your wrath, ending our years with a groan. Seventy years are given to us! Some even live to eighty.  Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom. Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love,  so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives. Psalm 90:1-10,12, 14




Daily Bible Reading:  Numbers 12,13; Psalms 90; Mark 2



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: