Monday, April 02, 2018

If You Had Not Plowed With My Heifer, You Would Not Have Solved My Riddle.


If You Had Not Plowed
With My Heifer,
You Would Not Have Solved My Riddle.
Scripture
Judges 14
17 She cried the whole seven days of the feast. So on the seventh day he finally told her, because she continued to press him. She in turn explained the riddle to her people.
18 Before sunset on the seventh day the men of the town said to him,
What is sweeter than honey?
    What is stronger than a lion?”
Samson said to them,
If you had not plowed with my heifer,
    you would not have solved my riddle.”
Observation
Women were Samson's downfall!
For a guy that had the super natural strength to kill 1000 men with the jawbone of a donkey, he was super weak and stupid when it came to women.
Samson jokingly said in Judges 15:16 “With a donkey’s jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey’s jawbone I have killed a thousand men.” But the reason that he had to kill all of those men was because of his attraction to a woman, who made a donkey out of him.
Samson had not established any guardrails in his life when it came to the opposite sex and falling in love with Delilah was his ultimate downfall. I wonder what Samson could have done and could have been if he had just established boundaries in his life.
Don't kid yourself. You will be tempted to cross the line. Satan loves to use the opposite sex to trip us up. If you are married or engaged to get married you better establish some boundaries, some guardrails, on what you will do and not do with the opposite sex. Let your spouse or fiance know what your guardrails are so he or she can hold you accountable.
The guardrails for my life are included in the list below:
Rick Warren's Saddleback Church's Staff Standards for maintaining moral integrity:
1. Thou shalt not go to lunch alone with the opposite sex.
2. Thou shalt not have the opposite sex pick you up or drive you places when it is just the two of you.
3. Thou shalt not kiss any attendee of the opposite sex or show affection that could be questioned.
4. Thou shalt not visit the opposite sex alone at home.
5. Thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex alone at the office, and thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex more than once without that person's mate. Refer them.
6. Thou shalt not discuss detailed sexual problems with the opposite sex in counseling. Refer them.
7. Thou shalt not discuss your marriage problems with an attender of the opposite sex.
8. Thou shalt be careful in answering emails, instant messages, chatrooms, cards, or letters from the opposite sex.
9. Thou shalt make your secretary your protective ally.
10. Thou shalt pray for the integrity of other staff members.
"And do not let sexual immorality, or any impurity, or greed be named among you, as these are not proper among saints" (Eph. 5:3).
Application
I will never grow too old to not respect and obey the guardrails that God has given me for my life. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that the story of Samson is more than just a story of someone with super natural strength. It is also a story of what happens when we have no control in our lives. Help me to be a person of integrity. Don't let me mess up. I pray that you always show me how to get out of situations that could cause me to yield to temptation and sin.
I pray for those reading this blog. Help them to be on guard. Help them to establish guardrails in their lives to protect their marriage and their ministry. Help us to be smart.
Daily Bible Reading: Judges 13,14,15,16; 2 Corinthians 2



No comments: