Thursday, April 05, 2018

May The Lord Punish Me Severely If I Allow Anything But Death To Separate Us!


May The Lord
Punish Me Severely
If I Allow Anything But Death To Separate Us!
Scripture
Ruth 1
16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. 
17 Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!” 
Observation

Changing spouses these days for people seems to be on the same schedule almost as changing the oil in one's car … it seems like divorce is just that common these days.
I think part of the wedding vows for a couple getting married should also include these words said by Ruth to her mother-in-law Naomi, “May the Lord punish me severely if I allow “anything” but death to separate us!”
Could your spouse ever do anything that would cause you to break your marriage commitment?
It is a question that I always pose to a couple when I am doing marriage preparation sessions. Most of the time the response from couples will be, “Yes … if my spouse cheats on me that will be reason for divorce”.
Maybe if we started out our marriage with a commitment to our spouse that included a phrase asking God to punish us severely if we allow anything but death to separate us … then … maybe our marriages could withstand the attacks by Satan to break us apart!

Application


May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate me from Kathy. How about you? Do you have that kind of commitment towards your spouse?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that just mentioning divorce brings up a lot of hurt and anger to the many who have experienced it first hand. Help them as they deal with the hurt that a spouse has caused them. I pray for comfort and healing for them.
I pray for those right now who are having problems in their marriage. Help them to see that Satan wants their marriage to fail. Give them the wisdom to get help while there is still time. Don't let Satan have the victory in their marriage. For those who have been hurt by an unfaithful spouse, help them remember that You are the One who will avenge their mistreatment. You will deal with the unfaithful spouse. Help me to always love Kathy in a way that makes You smile!
Daily Bible Reading: Ruth 1,2; Psalms 53, 61; 2 Corinthians 5



No comments: