Sunday, April 15, 2018

You Come To Me With Sword, Spear, And Javelin, But I Come To You In The Name Of The Lord Of Heaven's Armies – The God Of The Armies Of Israel


You Come To Me With Sword, Spear, And Javelin,
But I Come To You In The Name Of The Lord
Of Heaven's Armies – The God Of The Armies Of Israel
Scripture
1 Samuel 17
45 David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.
46 Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel!
Observation
Giants – we all have to put up with them! What giant are you facing this morning?
David didn't stand a chance against Goliath, at least that is what everybody on both sides of the fight thought. After all it was a young lad armed with a sling shot standing up to a 9 foot tall giant who wore a bronze helmet, a two-hundred-pound coat of mail, bronze leggings, and carried a bronze javelin several inches thick, tipped with a twenty-five-pound iron spearhead. Goliath even had an armor bearer who walked ahead of him with a huge shield.
Well David wasn't alone either. Goliath didn't realize it but David had a giant slayer that walked ahead of him.
Feel tired and defeated? Then it is time to quit trying to fight the giants in your life in your own strength. Turn them over to the giant slayer!
If you and I have a personal relationship with the Lord of Heaven's Armies then there is no giant that can stand up against us either. We have the giant killer of all giant killers on our side.
And just as David said to Goliath, “The battle belongs to the Lord”, you and I need to turn our giants over to the Lord.
The giants we face will always be too big for us. If we try to fight them alone without God's help we will be defeated, but with God's help there is no giant too big!
Psalm 3
I lay down and slept,
    yet I woke up in safety,
    for the Lord was watching over me.
6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies
    who surround me on every side.
Psalm 37
39 The Lord rescues the godly;
    he is their fortress in times of trouble.
Application

I will leave all of my “giant fighting” to the Lord. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, please remind me every time I face a giant that the battle is not my own. You are the giant slayer … not me. Thank You for taking care of everything that comes at me. Thank You for fighting my battles. Nothing is too hard for You.

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 17; Psalm 9; Matthew 2



No comments: