Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Right Living Can Save Your Life


Right Living
Can
Save Your Life
Scripture
Proverbs 10
2 Tainted wealth has no lasting value,
    but right living can save your life.
Observation

I was challenged this weekend by how I have been neglecting my body by a lack of discipline over what I have been eating. Of course, in my head I know exactly what I should be doing, what I should be eating and not eating, but it was the influence of the words of someone else this past Sunday that has influenced me and has moved me to action. I told Kathy yesterday that we are going to start eating differently. Kathy has been wanting to eat better but she has my negative eating influence that keeps getting her sidetracked.

So how did this happen? Who had such a powerful influence on me? I will tell you. I was meeting with a young couple for a marriage preparation session after our church's “Fried chicken Sunday” this past Sunday and it was because the couple didn't stay for the lunch that led us to talk about food. The young woman shared with me that she had been on a special eating and exercise plan for almost a year along with her Mom, and sister. As she shared about this journey I marveled at the amout of discipline that it has taken for her to do this. Amazing!

Her and her future husband's prayer requests as we finished up the session was this, “We want to have the discipline of having a quiet time every day.”

So I took time and shared with them how I have grown over the years in the discipline of a daily quiet time. I hope that my words about the spiritual discipline and importance of a daily devotional time with the Lord has as much of an impact on them, as her words challenging my poor eating habits has had on me.
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17
Application
Right living includes taking care of my body. I will discipline myself in the area of what I am shoving into my mouth. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is so easy to get lax and eat stuff that I know that is not good for me. Thank You for using the influence of a disciplined person to speak to me in the area of my life where I need to exercise discipline. I pray for people reading this blog who need conviction about the way they are neglecting their bodies. Use someone in their life just like you did for me. I pray for those who desire the spiritual discipline of maintaining a daily quiet time. Give them victory in this area Lord. Show them that they can do it. Give them the spiritual strength!

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 8,9,10; 2 Corinthians 10 … I added Psalm 10, Psalm 40; Proverbs 10



No comments: