Monday, April 30, 2018

So Go Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line. Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch, And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.


So Go Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line.
Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch,
And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.
Scripture
Matthew 17
24 On their arrival in Capernaum, the collectors of the Temple tax  came to Peter and asked him, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the Temple tax?”
25 “Yes, he does,” Peter replied. Then he went into the house.
But before he had a chance to speak, Jesus asked him, “What do you think, Peter? Do kings tax their own people or the people they have conquered?”
26 “They tax the people they have conquered,” Peter replied.“Well, then,” Jesus said, “the citizens are free!
27 However, we don’t want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin. Take it and pay the tax for both of us.”
Observation
This is not a fishing lesson; it is a lesson about faith!
During His 3 years with His disciples Jesus gave them lesson after lesson to test and to build up their faith. He does the same thing with you and me.
And yes, this week our faith will be tested.
Remember that Simon Peter was a fisherman. As he went down to the lake to fish as Jesus had commanded him to do I know that he had to be wondering about the instructions that His Lord had given him. I am sure that to a fisherman these instructions sounded totally crazy. He had caught fish all of his life, but never one with a large silver coin in his mouth.
He was to catch a fish and in that first fish that he caught he would find a large silver coin in its mouth. He did just what Jesus told him to do and found the coin in the mouth of the fish, enough to pay their taxes!
So what is the lesson in this story for me and what is the lesson in this story for you?
Jesus Christ has a million, no, Jesus has a zillion ways to take care of me and my needs and this same Jesus has a zillion ways to take care of you … you and I just need to be obedient and trust Him.
Application
I will trust the Lord to take care of my needs. How about you?
Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
Philippians 4:19
19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for putting stories like this in the Bible. Thank You for showing me that resources are never a problem for You. You are not limited in ways to take care of us. Help me to walk by faith and not by sight. I know that I am a slow learner, but I have learned that I can trust in You even when I can't see where help is coming from. This story about Peter catching the fish with the coin is its mouth is an encouragement to me. You will supply all of our needs from Your glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17



No comments: