Sunday, January 27, 2019

Do Not Covet Your Neighbor’s House. Do Not Covet Your Neighbor’s Wife, … Or Anything That Belongs To Your Neighbor.


Do Not Covet Your Neighbor’s House.
Do Not Covet Your Neighbor’s Wife, …
Or Anything That Belongs To Your Neighbor.
Scripture
Exodus 20
17 Do not covet your neighbor’s house. Do not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Observation

Probably one of the most unhealthy things about social media (Facebook especially) is that it causes us, or at least it could cause us, to want what everybody has, or cause us to want to do what everybody else gets to do, that we for one reason or another do not get to do.

The word 'covet' is a word that we don't hear much about today, but it is something we probably all struggle with, if we were to be honest with each other.

It is still very much alive in the USA today.

Every once in a while when I see what some of you post on Facebook I will admit that the Lord has to remind me of this commandment.

Remember, the Ten Commandments were given to us to help us, not hurt us. God was looking out for our well being when He gave them to us.
Lets not forget that they are 10 commandments and not 10 suggestions.

And when we step over the line and let covetousness rule in our hearts and we let covetousness go unchecked, the end result will always be hurt, misery, and destruction.

Philippians 4:11-12
I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being contentwhether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need.
1Timothy 6:6
But godliness with contentment is a great gain.
1Timothy 6:8
But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these.
James 4:2
You desire and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. You do not have because you do not ask.
Application
I want to learn the secret of being content 24/7 and I want to be able to say what the Apostle Paul said, “In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content”
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that every day is a test. Today is a test to see if I am going to live for You or live for myself. Tomorrow I will be tested again. I want to learn Paul's secret. I want to be content right where I am right now. Help me to do that. When I look at what someone else has or what someone else does, and I begin to covet, please bring conviction to my heart quickly so I can repent. Help me to see Your hand in everything that goes on in my life. Give me a thankful and grateful heart.
Daily Bible Reading: Exodus 17,18,19,20; Acts 3



No comments: