Saturday, January 12, 2019

Life Is Not Measured By How Much You Own


Life Is
Not
Measured By How Much You Own.”
Scripture
Luke 12
6 “What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. 7 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
13 Then someone called from the crowd, “Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father’s estate with me.”
14 Jesus replied, “Friend, who made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?” 15 Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.”
16 Then he told them a story: “A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. 17 He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ 
18 Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. 19 And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’
20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’
21 “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.”
22 Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. 23 For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. 
24 Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! 25 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? 26 And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?
27 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 
28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
29 “And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. 30 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. 
31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.
Observation
Today's Bible reading was so good! I hope that you had time to read Genesis 29,30 and Luke 12 today.
I could have and I almost did write about Jacob working 14 years to be able to have Rachel as his wife. I was laughing a few minutes ago because Kathy had walked into the room to bring me a cup of coffee and I was telling her the story about Jacob and his radical, crazy love for Rachel.
I was laughing because Kathy asked me, “Would you do that for me?” I am still smiling because after she asked I didn't respond, not immediately, 14 years to buy a wife … that my friend is an example of true radical love.
But I wanted you to read Luke 12 with me today. This passage and its parallel passage in Matthew 6 have always been my go to chapters when things are difficult for us financially.
Maybe Luke 12:6-31 will encourage you today!
And remember: “Life is not measured by how much you own (verse 15). For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing (verse 23). 
Application
I will enjoy my wife today. And I will hold on to the promise in Luke 12 that as Kathy and I put God's kingdom first in our lives that God will provide everything that we need. (Matthew 6:33 and Luke 12:31)
Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for the powerful promises that I get to read each day in Your Word. Thank You for the example of the extreme, radical love that Jacob had for his wife Rachel. It is a challenge for me to love Kathy with that same kind of extravagant love! Thank You for Your promise that You will take care of us because we are valuable to You. Your love for us is amazing. It is crazy. We sure don't deserve it. Thank You for being so kind and generous to us. We are blessed.
Help any person reading this blog to understand how much you love them. Don't let them feel alone today or hopeless. Meet the deep needs of his or her life. Show them today how much they are loved by You.
Daily Bible Reading: Genesis 29,30; Luke 12



No comments: