Sunday, March 10, 2019

He Lifted Me Out Of The Pit Of Despair, Out Of The Mud And The Mire

He Lifted Me
Out Of The Pit Of Despair,
Out Of The Mud And The Mire
Scripture
Psalm 40
1 I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry.

2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.

3 He has given me a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 40 MESSAGE
1-3 I waited and waited and waited for God.
    At last he looked; finally, he listened.
He lifted me out of the ditch,
    pulled me from deep mud.
He stood me up on a solid rock
    to make sure I wouldn’t slip.
He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,
    a praise-song to our God.
More and more people are seeing this:
    they enter the mystery,
    abandoning themselves to God.
Observation
What has God done for you? Has He lifted you out of the pit of despair, out of the muck and the mud? Has He put a new song in your heart? Has your life been forever changed? Then let's give Him praise! King David can't hold it in! He is bursting with praise!
But … King David wasn't praising God because things were perfect in his life.
If you continue to read this Psalm you can quickly see how desperate he was for God's help.
Lord, don’t hold back your tender mercies from me. Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me. For troubles surround me—too many to count! My sins pile up so high I can’t see my way out. They outnumber the hairs on my head. I have lost all courage.  Please, Lord, rescue me! Come quickly, Lord, and help me.”
Are going through a storm right now? Are things rough for you at this very moment? Are you desperate for help? Are you in a pit of despair? If the answer to any of those questions was “yes” then why not read Psalm 40 back to God as a prayer.
King David closes Psalm 40 with these verses, “But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!” As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my savior. O my God, do not delay.”
Application
When I am down I will read the Psalms to help lift me up!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know after reading Psalm 40 why You said of King David that he was a man after Your own heart. He was so passionate about his relationship with You. He was not afraid to express his feelings about You. Give me his boldness. Help me to proudly proclaim to everyone that You are my helper and my Savior. Give me a heart like King David's.
Daily Bible Reading: Deuteronomy 13,14,15; Galatians 1; I added: Psalm 10, Psalm 40; Proverbs 10



No comments: