Saturday, March 02, 2019

“What Do You Mean, 'If I Can'?” Jesus Asked. “Anything Is Possible If A Person Believes.”

What Do You Mean, 'If I Can'?”
Jesus Asked.
Anything Is Possible If A Person Believes.”
Scripture
Mark 9
20 So they brought the boy. But when the evil spirit saw Jesus, it threw the child into a violent convulsion, and he fell to the ground, writhing and foaming at the mouth.

21 “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father.
He replied, “Since he was a little boy. 22 The spirit often throws him into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”
23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil spirit. “Listen, you spirit that makes this boy unable to hear and speak,” he said. “I command you to come out of this child and never enter him again!”
26 Then the spirit screamed and threw the boy into another violent convulsion and left him. The boy appeared to be dead. A murmur ran through the crowd as people said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and helped him to his feet, and he stood up.
28 Afterward, when Jesus was alone in the house with his disciples, they asked him, “Why couldn’t we cast out that evil spirit?”
29 Jesus replied, “This kind can be cast out only by prayer.
Observation
It was a boy possessed by an evil spirit. A desperate father had gone to some of Jesus' disciples for help, but the disciples were unable to help the boy. So they brought the boy to Jesus. The father's request to Jesus was sincere and honest, “Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”
I love Jesus' response to the man's desperate plea, “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
So what are you and I dealing with today? Do we believe that Jesus can handle the situation?
If we were honest maybe we too would admit that we are like the father in this story. Maybe you and I need to say what the father said, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”
Have you ever thought about just how many miracles are recorded in the Bible? They are mentioned so that when we are faced with an impossible situation, we will trust God, even though everything seems totally hopeless.
Application
When faced with an impossible situation I will ask Jesus to help me overcome my unbelief.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me with my unbelief. I want to trust You with every detail of my life. So many things seem to be totally out of my control and I know that the only thing that I can do is to pray and ask You to intervene.
I can't fix people. I can't solve their problems. I pray for them because I know that You are the only One that can make a change in their lives. Fix them, Lord. I pray for healing. I pray for restoration. Help them to love each other. Help them to get along with each other. Help them to grow in their love for You and for each other.
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 30,31; Mark 9



No comments: