Thursday, March 07, 2019

Please Take This Cup Of Suffering Away From Me. Yet I Want Your Will To Be Done, Not Mine.

Please
Take This Cup Of Suffering Away From Me.
Yet I Want Your Will To Be Done, Not Mine.
Scripture
Mark 14
32 They went to the olive grove called Gethsemane, and Jesus said, “Sit here while I go and pray.” 33 He took Peter, James, and John with him, and he became deeply troubled and distressed. 34 He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
35 He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by. 36 “Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”
37 Then he returned and found the disciples asleep. He said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour? 38 Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
39 Then Jesus left them again and prayed the same prayer as before. 40 When he returned to them again, he found them sleeping, for they couldn’t keep their eyes open. And they didn’t know what to say.
Observation
Last night, while I was at the hospital, I talked with a woman who shared with me that she came to the hospital earlier that afternoon with chest pain. She also shared with me that she had already experienced multiple heart attacks in the past. Her first heart attack came when she was just 30 years old.
As she shared with me how much suffering she had experienced in her life, the tragic death of a daughter, the death of other loved ones very close to her, and that now she was presently living with a very cruel and abusive husband, I clearly understood why she could be having so much chest pain.
Not only did she have some serious physical cardiac problems, but emotionally, she was suffering from a broken heart.
As we talked, she shared with me about the time when she was saved and how she had at one time even taught children Bible lessons. It was clear to me that at one time, though probably many years ago, this woman had a close relationship with her Heavenly Father.
As we talked, she also talked about all the things that were causing tremendous anxiety. After I listened a long time to many of her concerns, I asked her if she remembered Philippians 4:6-7. She replied that she did not.
By the time I left her bedside, she was quoting in her own words those two verses, repeating them over and over again several times, “Don't worry about anything, pray about everything, thank God for all that He has done for me in the past, tell God what I need, and the peace of God that passes all understanding will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus.”
All of us are going to experience suffering. Jesus suffered. Jesus suffered in the garden of Gethsemane. Jesus agonized in prayer. While praying in the garden Jesus asked His Father to take away the suffering, then He accepted the suffering because He knew that it was God's will for His life.
Our Heavenly Father understands what you and I are going through. He understands and feels our pain. He knows and cares about what is happening to us. He cares about every detail of our life.
Talk to Him!
Philippians 4:6-7
6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
John 16:33
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Isaiah 43:2
2  When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
Psalm 37:23
The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.
Application
I will take everything that is bothering me to my Heavenly Father because He cares about me.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray for those who are sick. I pray for those who are suffering. Help them to put the faith and their trust in You. I pray for healing. I pray for comfort. There are so many people hurting all around us. Help them to trust You. Bring people into their lives who will encourage them. Bring people in their lives who will guide them to Your Word.
I pray for Theresa Coogle and Doug Coogle as they grieve the loss of Theresa's Mom and Doug's Grandmother. Comfort them, Lord.
Daily Bible Reading: Deuteronomy 5,6; Psalms 43; Mark 14



No comments: