Saturday, May 18, 2019

Give Me An Understanding Heart


Give Me
An
Understanding Heart
Scripture
1 Kings 3
5 That night the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!”
7 “Now, O Lord my God, you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn’t know his way around. 8 And here I am in the midst of your own chosen people, a nation so great and numerous they cannot be counted! 
9 Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?”
10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom. 11 So God replied, “Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies— 
12 I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! 13 And I will also give you what you did not ask for—riches and fame!
Observation
Solomon had the opportunity to ask the Lord for anything – today people say, “Oh Lord if I could just win the lottery!”
Did you know that seven out of ten people who win the lottery have lost all of that money within a few years and are worse off than they were before they won? And they also say that it was the worse thing that ever happened to them!
I think a prayer request that would help us way more than winning a lottery would be asking the Lord for what Solomon asked him for, “Lord, give me an understanding heart!”
What you and I need today more than anything else is God's wisdom.
We need an understanding heart to be able to navigate safely through this thing called life!
Application
Lord, give me wisdom! Lord, give me an understanding heart!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I do pray for wisdom. Give me an understanding heart. I know that more than anything else Your wisdom is what I need.
I pray for any person reading this blog today. Give them an understanding heart. Lord, if they are praying to win the lottery show them that having Your wisdom would be far much better for them than having riches. I do pray that you meet the needs that they have today.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 3; 2 Chronicles 1; Psalms 78; 2 Thessalonians 2

No comments: