Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Lord, How Often Should I Forgive Someone


Lord,
How Often
Should I Forgive Someone
Scripture
Matthew 18
21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”
22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!
Observation
Forgiveness – all of us, if we are honest, have a hard time with this thing called “forgiveness”. I hear Christians, who have been deeply hurt, struggling with forgiveness.
I hear them trying to put qualifiers on their forgiveness like: I forgive him or I forgive her but I will never have anything to do with that person again, or I forgive him or her but I don't have to be reconciled with them!
Forgiveness, like love, are two big issues for us. Both of these two things are choices that we must make. And I might add they are not optional for a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. We must love. We must forgive.
I might add that just as both of these are choices that we make, they are also gifts that we must give.
Forgiveness is a gift. You must give it as a gift. And you must receive forgiveness from someone else also as a gift.
When we refuse to love someone and when we refuse to forgive someone or refuse to be reconciled with someone – we are the ones who suffer!
Matthew 6:15
But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matthew 5:23-24
23 “So if you are presenting a sacrifice at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, 24 leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God.
1 Corinthians 13:4-5,7
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Application
I will forgive quickly and often.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to always forgive quickly and often. Don't let me hold a grudge. Don't let me hold back my love for someone. Give me Your heart.
I pray for those who are struggling and can't seem to truly forgive. They want to hold on to the hurt. Help them to let it go. Help them to reach out to the one who has hurt them and help them make an attempt to reconcile.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Chronicles 14,15; Psalm 132; Matthew 18



No comments: