Tuesday, April 30, 2019

So God Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line. Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch, And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.


So God Down To The Lake And Throw In A Line.
Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch,
And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.
Scripture
Matthew 17
24 On their arrival in Capernaum, the collectors of the Temple tax[came to Peter and asked him, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the Temple tax?”

25 “Yes, he does,” Peter replied. Then he went into the house.
But before he had a chance to speak, Jesus asked him, “What do you think, Peter? Do kings tax their own people or the people they have conquered?”
26 “They tax the people they have conquered,” Peter replied.
“Well, then,” Jesus said, “the citizens are free! 27 However, we don’t want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin. Take it and pay the tax for both of us.”
Observation
Reading this passage makes me think about the last time I went fishing. It has been so long that I can't remember where I went or who I went with, but I know that I didn't catch any fish!
They tell me that is why it is called fishing and not catching.
Jesus sent Peter to catch and not just to fish!
In fact, that day the only important fish was that first fish that Peter caught. He was to go fishing and look into the mouth of the first fish that he caught. Jesus told Peter that the first fish that he caught would have a large silver coin in its mouth.
Enough to pay the taxes for both Peter and for Jesus.
So what is the lesson for Eddy today? What might be the lesson for you? I think for me it is this. If I put God first in my life then God has a zillion ways to take care of my needs. The possibilities are limitless!
The key is to make sure that God has the Number One place in my life!
Matthew 6:33
33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
Application

I will start out each day with God and I will spend time each day in his Word.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me walk in Your path. Help me keep You Number One in my life! Don't let me settle for anything less.
I pray for any person reading this blog today. Help them walk close to You today. Help them to put You first in his or her life. Smile on them today, Lord!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17



No comments: