Saturday, April 27, 2019

“Lord, If It's Really You, Tell Me To Come To You Walking On The Water.” “Yes, Come,” Jesus said.


Lord, If It's Really You,
Tell Me To Come To You Walking On The Water.”
Yes, Come,” Jesus said.
Scripture
Matthew 14
24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. 25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. 

26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”

27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”
28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”
32 When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. 33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.
Observation
If you and your buddies were out in a boat at 3 o'clock in the morning, caught in a storm, and saw your teacher walking on the water, would any of you say to your teacher, “Can I walk out on the water to you”? I didn't think so! Me either!
I think that it took incredible faith for Peter to think that he could actually walk on water. He had incredible faith until he started walking on the water and saw the size of the waves. He took his eyes off of Jesus and down he went!
As soon as he looked up to the Lord and cried out to Him for Jesus to save him, Peter was safe.
This most definitely was a lesson for Simon Peter and the disciples but it is also a lesson for me and I think this is a lesson for you too. During life's storms, we must keep our eyes and our focus on Jesus and not focus on the wind and the waves of the storm.
Remember: You and I are either in a storm right now, just came out of a storm, or we are getting ready to get hit by a storm in the near future.
Life is one storm, one right after another!
Jesus was right there with Peter in that storm and He is right here with us too! Let's trust Him!
Application
I want to remember this story and I want to keep my focus on Jesus during life's next storm.
How about you?
John 16:33
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Isaiah 43:1-3
… “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that Peter was rebuked by Jesus for his lack of faith when he started to sink as he walked on water. But Lord, he did have more faith than the other disciples because he at least got out of the boat and started walking on the water. When my faith is tested by the storms of life help me to hold fast and not doubt. I don't want to ever give up. Help me to keep my eyes focused on You and not on my circumstances. Lord, increase my faith!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 2; 1 Chronicles 11; Psalm 142; Matthew 14



No comments: